Salary InformationWeekly Rate: $616.00 - $1623.50
As an Engineering Assistant you will design the outside plant network from the central office to the customer premise. This will include underground, aerial and buried plant for new construction and maintenance activity in the Verizon network. Design is completed in appropriate systems for BAU and Fiber to the Premises (FTTP) components. You’ll be an integral part of providing our quality products and services.
• Utilize current and evolving technologies including FTTP, digital loop carrier, broadband, and Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) to accomplish work assignments.
• Utilize personal computers and/or paper records to obtain information, design circuits and distribute circuit orders.
• Utilize automated design programs as warranted.
• Interface with other organizations throughout the provisioning process in order to facilitate an accurate design.
• Use Outside Plant Protocol (OSP) methods and procedures and multiple databases to prepare designs.
• Utilize service order systems to resolve errors, assignment inventory, and Digital Loop Carrier (DLC) records, and hi-capacity circuits.
• Use planning documents, field notes and multiple databases to analyze data and prepare specific estimates, routine work orders and/or other-defined projects for growth, relief, customer demand, and damaged plant in the outside plant network.
• Identify/recognize incorrect or unsafe conditions and design proper corrective plant configurations during field visits.
• Track and monitor construction and other departments, which may include contractors, to assure timely completion of the engineering work orders and plans issued.
• Use economically cost effective methods and interface with multiple databases to ensure timely customer satisfaction of provisioning issues.
• Utilize computer assisted drafting tools, where available.
• Negotiate, coordinate and communicate outside plant engineering matters, including permit applications and rights of way, with Verizon personnel, private owners, customers, building contractors, utilities and government agencies.
• Research rights of way and deed and property information, as well as related information in courthouses, libraries, and other locations.
• Spend the day in outdoor activities, traverse rough terrain on foot, carry range rods, drive stakes and occasional use of a brush axe in rural areas as needed.
• Climb ladders to enter Controlled Environmental Vaults (CEVs), Manholes and Cable Vaults, construction sites and potentially dangerous industrial areas.
• Part or all of the day may be spent in an office environment.
• A valid state driver’s license with satisfactory driving record.
• A security background investigation may be required.
• Experience working through design problem analysis and proper sequential tasking for network design and construction.
• Must be able to wear appropriate safety equipment to work in the presence of hazardous materials.
• Must be available to work scheduled tours designated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and/or the needs of the business. May be required to work evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as the needs of the business necessitate. Non-scheduled days will be required as needs of the business necessitate. May occasionally be assigned to work extended tours away from home.
• A two-year degree or 3 years of relevant experience.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Required Skills & ExperienceCAD
Desired Skills & ExperienceDigital Loop Carrier + eq PC Skills Construction Splicing
• Work tours to include Monday through Friday 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM with overtime as needed by the business.
ESM - display message
Engineering Selection Module
Engineering Assistant SI
Test PreviewTest Previews
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6715541-engineering-assistant
• Post ID: 33205858 dc