What you’ll be doing...
The Regulatory and Legislative Paralegal is responsible for assisting senior attorneys on a variety of research, project management, and other tasks to support the company’s priorities in state regulatory and legislative activities, focused on a 20-state region, as well some work at the federal level.
Specific responsibilities include:
Assisting attorneys with mergers and other transactions including determining whether they trigger state regulatory filings, researching and analyzing parties’ market activities and their regulatory status, preparing approval applications and filings, and tracking status of filings (including responses to data requests) and any required post-closing activity.
- Providing support for legislative work, including bill tracking, research and review and stakeholder coordination across a 20 state region.
- Project managing complex proceedings before state regulatory commissions and appellate courts in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia, including filing documents (generally electronically), providing hearing support, communicating with commission staff, monitoring filing requirements and cite-checking, proofing, editing and revising correspondence, pleadings and other legal documents for filing. May require travel to location of scheduled hearings.
- Conducting computer research to locate information relating to state regulatory and legislative matters, such as the websites of state commission, courts and legislative bodies, PACER, and Lexis-Nexis.
- Assisting with compliance with state political contribution reporting requirements, including gathering information and preparing reports.
- Assisting, on occasion, with regulatory research on federal issues, including issues at the Federal Communications Commission and other federal agencies.
- Handling small cases (such as retail customer complaints) independently, including investigating the facts of the matter, developing a proposed resolution, negotiating with the complaining customer, and, if necessary, participating in mediation and/or appearing before the state commission.
- Developing, organizing and maintaining responsibility for department files, including tracking the status of all open department proceedings and relevant documents and locating older documents, orders and settlements as needed.
- Assisting with intake of documents and inquiries, including properly routing subpoenas and other service of process and transmitting matters to other groups in the legal department.
- Assisting various departments, including customer service, with legal and regulatory questions related to our states.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Paralegal certification or J.D. from an accredited law school.
- Two or more years of relevant work experience.
- Law firm or in house experience or related experience in a regulated industry.
Even better if you have:
- Ability to work independently in areas/states with ambiguous requirements/filing procedures or processes.
- Strong organization, planning and management skills.
- Good written and verbal communication and advocacy skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with computer applications, especially Internet resources including Lexis, as well as ability to navigate through regulatory websites.
- Ability to be discrete and keep confidentiality of proprietary information.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/6920500-regulatory-and-legislative-paralegal
• Post ID: 32740463 dc