The Director, Restaurant and Bar is part of the Global Operations (GO) department, which is known for taking ideas into implementation across all brands, disciplines, and continents. This role provides global operational leadership and consultation, within the Restaurant and Bar discipline, to design strategies to streamline and optimize concept + design development processes and to maximize restaurant and bar operations success. The leader provides creativity, discipline expertise, and connectivity to drive Food and Beverage (F&B) relevance and performance while ensuring best practice across the company’s 30 brands and continents.
The Director has a passion for guest experiences and is responsible for the execution and development of a specific set of products and/or services. This role is accountable for facilitating the process of beverage program development and enhancement by creating new platforms and services, including evolving existing products and concepts. The Director collaborates with cross-functional project teams to design new concepts and refine existing features to continually improve adoption and overall F&B initiatives and operations.
Key accountabilities include: review of F&B concepts and operations with key executives; partnering with brand, discipline, continent and corporate sponsor to provide innovative solutions to drive the restaurant and bar experience in support of strategic growth goals; leading collaborative product and service development, designing integrity standards, and lessons learned; continually monitoring current business processes, making recommendations and implementing approved changes as required; mentoring F&B team members to facilitate professional growth.
Required Education and Experience:
- 2- or 4- year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Culinary Science, or related major
- 3-5 years’ work experience (including project management experience) in the area of Restaurant and Bar; OR related work experience
- 3+ years progressively responsible work experience in wide range of Bar and Restaurant Operations, including experience as a restaurant and bar leader managing a culturally diverse workforce
- Prior experience in regional, corporate, or multi-unit restaurant and bar operations
- Knowledge on Beverage and Bar operations or a high level of interest
- Respected standing within the hospitality industry
- Solid understanding of F&B operations, products and techniques
- Proven expertise in hands-on openings of hotel and independent restaurants and bars
- Experience reading and interpreting blueprints and floor plans
- Ability to analyze and react to trends across multiple hospitality disciplines and brands
- Ability to achieve results against budget within scope of responsibility
- Collaborative with peers and partners to grow business relationships
- Excellent project/work management skills
- Highly adaptable with the ability to effectively adjust to changes in business priorities
- Excellent verbal communication, written communication, analytical, problem-solving, and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with multiple stakeholders (e.g. customers, owners, peers, associates, vendors, corporate)
- Effective influence, negotiation, conflict management, and consensus building skills
- Ability to train (e.g. new programs/products/services, skill gaps on action plans)
- Experience using programs and software such as Microsoft Office, InDesign, iBooks, Adobe photo shop and/or other presentation software
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Leading Projects and Priorities
- Researches trends and competition. Conducts forward-thinking research to understand market needs and the F&B talent to remain competitive and to support and grow current and future projects.
- Provides robust concept development support for bespoke Restaurant and Bar across new and existing hotels.
- Advises and informs on Restaurant and Bar strategy and standards.
- Provides F&B consulting to Discipline, Brands and Continents, as requested.
- Together with Continent, Brand and other GO leaders, establishes and ensures adherence to core work processes that drive innovation and enhances brand differentiation.
- Leads and directs creative F&B product and design projects.
- Interacts with Department VPs, peer Directors and Brand Segment Leads to develop and accomplish new initiatives.
- Delivers and designs presentations internally and externally in support of program or strategic development work.
- Develops methods and alternative methods for product distribution for products unique to each Brand.
- Identifies industry trends, and competitive situations and opportunities relevant to F&B.
- Evaluates creative approaches and develops solutions to complex creative issues that have compelling value to the company.
- Acts as the company’s subject matter expert and provides input as needed on concept development and Restaurant and Bar designs for all brands.
- Domestic and International travel, as needed, to various meetings, openings, training, and events.
Discipline / Brand / Continent Leadership and Collaboration
- Demonstrates leadership, maturity and efficiency when managing projects across multiple stakeholders in high pressure environments.
- Provides regular updates and communicates project or initiative progress clearly and effectively to keep leaders aware and aligned relative to project progress.
- Effectively manages multiple, complex projects which may originate from Discipline, Brand and Continent, balancing focus, capacity and resourcing to deliver against expectations.
- Works effectively with multiple stakeholders across Discipline / Brand / Continent to build productive relationships and maximize successful outcomes.
- Understands industry trends underway and their implications for the F&B discipline and our brands.
- Applies innovation principles and practices around collaboration, co-creation and creativity to deliver expansive ideas and operational solutions.
- Demonstrates confidence and leadership in bringing new, provocative ideas forward which expand thinking and lead to more innovative outcomes which drive relevance and returns.
- Demonstrates creativity in problem-solving, content development, program branding and communication to ensure relevant, emotionally engaging F&B programs, restaurant and bar programs.
- Leads and learns constantly through collaborating with team members within and beyond the team, and within and beyond the hospitality segment.
- Unafraid to try new approaches and ideas, leveraging innovation processes and design thinking to drive experimentation, fast failure and constant learning.
- Directs the day to day activities of the team with GO and ensures the team meets defined objectives
- Supports discipline-specific talent process and platforms
- Provides discipline knowledge and guidance to design team members
- Partners with Human Resources to attract, develop, and retain the right people to support the strategic priorities of the GO organization. Ensure effective structures, processes, jobs, and performance management systems are in place. Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the LPP, aligns performance and rewards, appropriately addresses performance issues and holds staff accountable for successful results
- Champions leadership development and workforce planning priorities by assessing, selecting, retaining, and developing diverse, high-caliber talent that can lead the organization today and strengthen leadership bench for the future; continues to upgrade talent, works with Human Resources to anticipate future talent needs based on business plans
- Creates and sustains a work environment that focuses on fair and equitable treatment and associate satisfaction to enable business success
- Identifies, trains, and mentors talent
- Transfers functional knowledge and develop Operations acumen of GO associates
Click here for more info: https://marriott.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=17001CZL&lang=en
• Post ID: 45388262 dc