The Customer Data Strategy team is responsible for the activating and curating data to support the operational and strategic goals of our broader Marriott International organization. The primary role of the Manager, Customer Data Strategy is to support the users of the Analytical Workspace (AW) hadoop platform by managing projects to ingest and organize data for analytics and reporting. The manager will work to: govern the Analytical Workspace environment by creating policies, procedures and documentation; support Marriott analysts though the creation and management of analytical data sets; foster data-driven decisions by training analysts and business users how to maximize the potential of the data platform; elevate the AW platform by pioneering new data processes and applying the latest technologies to identify business opportunities for Marriott International.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, or related fields
- Masters’ Degree in Data Science or Computer Science field preferred
- Three years of related experience as a data scientist, data engineer, developer, data architect, or business analyst
- Proficiency with advanced SQL querying is essential.
- Experience working with and/or designing enterprise databases and complex data models is essential
- Experience responding to client requests and formulating responses using both business and technical knowledge is essential.
- Proficiency with data/analytics programming languages such as SAS, R, or Python is desirable
- Experience with statistical analysis and data mining techniques is desirable.
- Experience with open source tools such as R, Spark, Hadoop etc. is desirable.
- A broad understanding of the technologies and methodologies used for advanced analytics and data science/engineering is desirable.
- Experience with Master Data Management applications and Data Governance principles is desirable
- Business Experience
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Experience creating data flow diagrams and documenting and designing complex data structures.
- Experience communicating technical material to non-technical business partners to help them interpret data and uncover actionable information.
- Comfort using large amounts of complex data from multiple sources coupled with the ability to see linkages and relationships within and between sources.
- Working knowledge of the various hardware and software technologies within the information technology sector.
- Ability to operate effectively in a multi-project environment by manage multiple small projects while also contributing to larger initiatives.
- Experience writing specifications for and interfacing with IT business partners.
|CORE WORK ACTIVITIES|
- Manages the daily operations of the Analytical Workspace (Hadoop) Environment
- Works closely with IT partners to ensure the AW environment is operating in an optimal state to support analysts.
- Responds to data inquiries from analysts and fosters analytics by guiding AW users to the data sources that will best suit their needs.
- Communicates to AW users when there is a platform outage, new data available in the environment, new documentation, or data anomalies that could impact reporting or analytical processes.
- Governs the AW Hadoop platform, ensuring users have proper access to data and that information content is properly documented.
- Develops new services and analytical data sets to improve analyst productivity and ease of access.
- Investigates and pioneers using new technologies to enhance the AW platform including tools for visual analysis, visual ETL, Master Data Management, machine learning, streaming (spark).
- Improves collaboration between headquarters and global analysts by deploying tools to enable code sharing and the creation of an archive for analytical processes.
- Supports other Customer Data Strategy initiatives
- Works with the broader Customer Data Strategy team, Information Technology, and business partners to leverage the data platform to meet the information needs of the company by supporting and managing:
- Data platform data capture projects to ingest data from operational systems and third parties
- Data integration projects including activities supporting the Starwood acquisition.
- Data activation projects that supply information to operational systems and decision makers
- Analytics activation projects that will imbed machine learning and data models into operational systems
- Supports an environment of continuous learning by keeping current on new technologies and sharing learnings with the broader Customer Data Strategy and analytics teams.
- Fills key roles within Marriott’s evolving data governance organization to ensure our company has the processes and procedures in place that will drive excellence in information management and delivery.
- Serves as trusted information consultant for analysts and business leaders
- Acts as a subject matter expert in Marriott and external data sources, leveraging expertise gained in analytical efforts to support analyses crucial to Sales, Digital, Global Marketing, and Continental senior leadership to help understand our customers and define the strategic direction of Marriott International.
- Partners with team members and other departments to share knowledge and gain new expertise and understanding of the Marriott business and data environments to drive operational efficiency and improve shareholder value.
- Builds credibility with others and encourages strong working relationships.
- Creates a work environment in which others feel comfortable sharing thoughts and feedback.
- Shows awareness of how own behavior impacts others and the work environment.
- Encourages others to work together.
- Models and empowers others to anticipate and respond to customer/stakeholder preferences and feedback.
- Clearly explains policies in ways that create strong customer/stakeholder relationships.
- Monitors customer/stakeholder satisfaction and takes appropriate action.
- Resolves customer/stakeholder issues and concerns raised by others.
- Creates an environment where everyone is valued and included.
- Models and coaches others on representing the Company culture of service, opportunity, respect, and fair treatment.
- Acts when others are treated unfairly or are not valued and respected for their unique skills.
- Looks for and uses ideas and opinions from diverse sources.
- Attracts, develops, and retains a multicultural and multigenerational workforce.
- Gives all associates the opportunity to achieve their full potential.
- Organizes activities that promote inclusion.
- Maintains an awareness of changing customer/stakeholder and associate characteristics.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Ensures the work is organized so it can be effectively completed.
- Continuously improves work processes.
- Brings together the appropriate mix of associate knowledge and skills to complete work.
- Coaches others on scope of technical decision‐making authority.
- Uses meetings and other forums to regularly communicate status of work.
- Provides, seeks, and acts on constructive feedback.
- Develops others by identifying needs and providing resources in area of expertise.
- Uses professional networks to attract top talent in area of expertise.
- Participates in the hiring process and ensures successful on‐boarding of newassociates.
- Models and coaches others on staying calm and focused during stressful situations.
- Communicates to others why change is happening and how it impacts their work.
- Models flexibility when managing multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Provides resources that help others deal with change and challenges.
- Adjusts team and own priorities when experiencing change or challenges.
- Determines how change impacts stakeholders and communicates concerns to leadership.
Communication and Professional Demeanor
- Clearly presents complex information using different methods.
- Adapts communication style based on the audience.
- Demonstrates active listening to ensure understanding.
- Models and coaches others on appropriately interpreting verbal and non‐verbal behavior.
- Models and coaches others on displaying professionalism and gaining respect from others.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Identifies issues and makes suggestions to solve complex problems affecting daily work.
- Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts.
- Looks for and shares information with others before making a decision.
- Models and coaches others on identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions.
- Involves and gains agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Makes complex decisions and works with others to implement solutions in reasonable amount of time.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Sets own career goals and identifies developmental areas for self and others.
- Uses resources and challenging assignments to improve performance of self and others.
- Gathers, shares, and uses information about industry and discipline trends and best practices.
- Budgets for training to support associate development, as applicable.
- Coaches and holds others accountable for professional growth.
- Ensures others understand how their work impacts property and team performance.
- Coaches others on the drivers of performance and their impact on key business and property metrics.
- Shows an understanding of how different customer/stakeholder groups have different revenue potential.
- Identifies innovative ways to improve, productivity, customer/stakeholder satisfaction, and profitability.
- Maintains advanced technical knowledge and skills and models their use for others.
- Models and promotes the appropriate use of facilities, equipment, and materials to perform the job.
- Demonstrates and shares expertise in policies, procedures, and legal requirements.
- Manages and completes complex technical assignments and coaches others on solving advanced technical issues.
- Demonstrates and reinforces technical standards and processes to support work requirements.
- Identifies innovative technical approaches and communicates how they can improve processes or business functioning.
Building and Contributing to Teams
- Promotes teamwork by explaining how each associate supports shared goals.
- Builds commitment to team goals by explaining how they support department and property success.
- Works with team members to solve issues and make decisions that impact them.
- Manages disagreements among team members.
- Recognizes department, team, and individual achievements.
Driving for Results
- Creates a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, and innovation.
- Makes sure others understand performance expectations.
- Sets and tracks goal progress for self and others.
- Monitors the work of others to ensure it is completed on time and meets expectations.
- Breaks down barriers so team members can accomplish their work.
Planning and Organizing
- Prioritizes group activities based on importance, urgency, and impact to goals.
- Manages team workload and delegates assignments appropriately.
- Ensures team members have the equipment, materials, and other resources needed to accomplish their work.
- Avoids conflicts when setting project timelines and communicates key milestones and deadlines to others.